Sunday, July 29, 2012


Greetings geeks, geekettes and geeklings!  I'm back to clog your blog.  You know, whenever my blog is clogged, it usually ends up being because of a big clump of wet lint and hair.  Gross.

Recently at comic-con, Kevin Eastman, the co-creator of the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, sat down to an interview to discuss the upcoming Michael Bay reboot of the Turtles on the big screen.  Now, you all know Michael Bay.  He's the director of such films as the Transformers trilogy, Pearl Harbor, Armageddon, The Rock, The Island, Bad Boys 1 & 2, and Playboy Video Centerfold: Kerri Kendall.  But once it was announced that he had gotten his over-the-top exploding hands on the Turtles, the outcry from the fans was not positive.  For one simple reason; aliens.  That's right.  Mr. Bay is looking to change the origin of those pizza guzzling, foot soldier beating, sewer crawling shell backs to aliens from a distant planet.

In 1984, Kevin Eastman and Peter Laird introduced the world to the Turtles.  Four mutated turtles, raised in the sewers of New York and trained in ninjutsu by their rat sensei, Splinter.  All named after great Renaissance artists, Leonardo, Donatello, Raphael and Michelangelo fight to keep the city safe from thugs, war lords and alien invaders.  For almost 30 years, the Turtles have embedded themselves into the public consciousness through action figures, comics, cartoons, movies and even live-action stage shows.  So you can imagine, that through those 30 years, a generation or two of geeks and fans have grown a fondness for these characters and hold onto childhood memories of these heroes with a vice-like grip.  And now Michael Bay wants to alter the very core of what the Turtles are?!  Blasphemy!  Or is it?

Kevin Eastman had said that from what he has seen, this upcoming Michael Bay film, is easily "the best Turtle movie yet."  With CGI comparable to the newest Planet of the Apes film and fighting scenes reminiscent of The Raid: Redemption and Fist of Legend. Now I'll admit, when I first heard about this film, I was hesitant.  But then I started thinking.  What really made me a fan of the Turtles?  Was it the fact that they were teenagers?  Growing up, I never really thought of them as teenagers and I never really connected with the whole idea of "trying to fit in" and the awkwardness of those years.  The Turtles were never really like that in my mind, so I always saw them as more adult then teenager anyway.  So what about the whole "mutant" aspect of things?  Let's keep in mind, that these are walking, talking, five foot tall turtles that wear masks and fight like ninjas.  If I ever saw one in real life, my first thought would most likely be that they were from another planet.  The fact that their origin story is based here on Earth, again, was not something that I really connected with.  Because when it all comes down to it, I watched and read the Turtles for the action.  I mean, how many in my generation got into martial arts because of those turtles?  I know I did.  So the fact that Michael Bay wants to bring them in from space, doesn't really bother me.  Because after they land on Earth, learn ninjutsu, and get a taste for pizza, what does the "origin" have to do with the story anymore?  The focus then becomes on brotherhood, family, friends, overcoming adversity, and responsibility.  I mean, how often do you remember that Superman is actually an alien or that Batman's parents were murdered?  Occasionally that might come up, but more often than not, you are engrossed in the story for how they will overcome this villain or what gadget or super-power will be used and how cool that is.  And with the Turtles, you want to see lightning fast kicks, whirling katana blades, a flash of a sai and watching the baddies get a ninja butt-kickin'.

So I say, and I know I'm in the minority here, give it a chance.  Because when it all comes down it, whether they were covered with ooze (which by the way is alien in nature), or whether they're from the planet Turtltopia from the Turtltron system, the fact is, there will be fast paced ninja action, humor and brotherhood which I believe is what ingratiated the Turtles into our consciousness in the first place. 

Until next time, take it easy and have a great one!
-Drewood

No comments:

Post a Comment